Petite Bodice Adjustment Ava Wrap Dress


If you are shorter it is important to muslin bodices of woven dresses to make sure the bust hits at your bust and waist at your waist.  Otherwise you will have wrinkles above your bust and dresses don't look great when the waist is bunched up above your natural waist.

I'm only 5'2" and normally have to remove a little bit of length with tops.  See my Jalie raglan petite adjustment for removing wrinkles above the bust in a knit raglan pattern.

So when you get to step 18 on the Ava wrap dress (affiliate) I recommend you try on your bodice.  Remember the belt is a couple inches wide and you want the belt on your waist.  So having the bodice end at or below your waist will result in the belt being below your waist.

Make sure that the shoulder seam is actually centered over your shoulder not sliding forwards or backwards (the first time I took pictures it was pushed back and I got exaggerated issues).  The two little pictures below are when the shoulder seam was pushed back.  It appears to be really short in front and really long in back.



This is what happened when I tried on my bodice, with the shoulder seam centered on my shoulder properly.  You can see the front center is fine, but I have a bit too much length on the sides and about an inch too much in the center back.  The dress should have a bit of pooling in the back, with the gathers, but not enough where the waistband droops down.  I do have swayback issues, so this is also a normal adjustment for me to check.


I used a straight pin to mark waist height on the bodice, both at center back and side seams, so that I would know how much length I needed to remove.  Don't remove too much, but get it closer to your waist height.

I used my French curve to get a nice shape, but you could get a similar curve without one.  I decided to remove about an inch from the center back down to none just past the side seams.  Start with less, because you can't ever add back what you have removed.


That is it.  I tried it back on to verify it was hanging straight, but I forgot to take another picture.
As you can see I had to add new gathering lines of stitching, but that wasn't a big deal.

Happy Sewing!


Comments