Balloon Cardigan by Wardrobe by Me






Wardrobe by Me's New Balloon Cardigan is a versitalie and feminine wardrobe accessorie.  Perfect for layering and with the right skirt or pants it can even be worn buttoned up as a top.  This is a quick and rewarding sew.  (Afflilate link here if you would like to support my sewing hobby)

Full Disclosure.  I was a tester for this pattern, so I received the pattern for free in exchange for sewing it and providing feedback on the instructions and fit.  All opinions shared in this blog are mine.
I think this sleeve shot might be my favorite, because it captures both the gathers at the arm cuff and the drape of the cardigan at the waistband.

I don't know about you, but I'm always cold, so I love cardigans.  Yes, even down here in TX, because when it is hot out the A/C is always too cold inside.  The new Wardrobe by Me Cardigan has a great bubble shape at the arm and waistband hem making it unlike anything else in my wardrobe.  
I love it unbuttoned which is how I normally wear all of my cardigans, but think it also looks nice buttoned up as well.
Pattern Features
  • View A, V-neck or View B, Rounded Neckline
  • Dropped Shoulder
  • Gathered Sleeves at the Cuff
  • Gathered Body at the Band
  • Short or Long Lengths
  • Fabric should be light to medium weight jersey or sweater knit with rib knit for the cuffs and bands (one tester even made a pretty blouse using of woven and rib knit for the cuffs and band)

PDF Features
  • Size 0-24 US (30-54 Euro)
  • 1/4" seam allowance
  • Lengthen/Shorten Lines (two lines for the sleeves so you spread out the changes)
  • Layers (print only the size you need)
  • No Trim Pages (US and A4 paper)
  • Large Format Print (A0)
  • Body and Garment Measurement Chart (both Imperial and Metric)
  • Clear Illustrations for Sewing Steps
  • Notches for matching pattern pieces when sewing
  • Interfacing for the Collar
This is a quick sew.  Even adding the buttonholes is super fast if you have a good sewing machine.  I feel like I spent as long cutting out the pattern and interfacing the collar as I did actually sewing.  Everything came together quickly and easily.  I did most of the piecing on my BabyLock Ovation set as a serger and I used my Bernina for topstitching and the buttonholes.  I used shank buttons again, so I had to sew them on by hand, which is never quite as fun as being able to use my machine to add them.
I used Telio Dakota navy and white polka dot rayon jersey from fabric dot com (which I don't recommend as I have experienced a lot of fading). Per the designer's instructions I did not blend sizes.  This is a straight size 8 (my bust measurement) except for the band.  I knew my rayon/Lycra jersey wouldn't stretch as much as ribbing, so I went ahead and cut the size 12 for that piece.  
I did remove 2" from the sleeves using both the top and bottom lengthen/shorten line.  I probably could have removed some length from the body to get the sweater to better accent my waist.  I'm only 5'2" and it is drafted for 5'8", so the short length is a short sweater.  If you want to customize the length just find a sweater you like from your closet and measure it to compare it with the finished length in the chart and add or remove length as desired. 
 I have worn the cardigan out a couple times since I made it.  I like it with a T-shirt underneath and jeans (as pictured) or with a high waist A-line skirt and no shirt under.  I didn't have enough time to change outfits when I took pictures (and I was unhappy with the light that day I apologize that they are a bit overexposed) so I only have pictures of it with jeans.

As always, Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. Love this cardigan! I saw your review on PR and popped over to get more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I keep thinking of new versions to sew and seeing a lot of people wearing similar cardigans.

      Delete

Post a Comment