Canyon Cardigan by Love Notions

I'm trying to only buy patterns I'm going to sew and to print and sew them immediately (and use fabric from my stash).  I guess I succeeded with the new Love Notions Canyon Cardigan since it released yesterday and I finished it this morning.

This pattern offers 3 bodice styles, A-line, Gathered, and Waterfall.  It has three sleeve styles; sleeveless vest, 3/4 sleeve, and long sleeve.  It also has optional pockets and elbow patches.  I nearly skipped the sweater, because gathers generally are not so flattering on my hips, but I really liked a tester picture of the A-line version so I decided to give it a try.  The pattern does have an inverted back pleat that worried me, but I don't think it looks bad from the back at all.

I decided to make version A with pockets and elbow patches.

The pattern has a print guide, so you don't have to print and assemble all of the options just to make the one you want.  It also features layered sizes and no-trim pages, so assembly is very fast.  I've switched to gluing my patterns together after fighting with taped ones coming apart when I tried unfold them and use them again.  I use Avery permanent glue sticks, because the Elmer's purple school glue just wasn't holding up.

I'm 5'2" but like my cardigans long, so I did not adjust for my short height.  If I make it with a lighter sweater knit I do think I will remove a bit of length next time (above the bust).  The pattern has the bust line marked, so removing length will be very easy.

My bust measures 35" and hips are 43" so I made size Small and blended the front skirt from small to large.  This probably wasn't necessary, but I like that it does close all of the way despite my pear shape.

I did not have 2 yards of any sweater knit that I thought would work for this pattern, so I asked in the Love Notions Pattern Support Group if anyone had tried the Joann's-Fabrics Sweater Fleece, but no one had.  I did receive the advice to use something else for the neckband, because it was going to be too thick.  I had some navy french terry left from Cali Fabrics and used that for the band.  I decided to try it anyway though and I'm really happy I did.  My main concern was the fabric not stretching enough and being too tight on my arms.  Since it is a sweater it is drafted with enough ease that it was not a problem.  I opted to take a 1/4" seam allowance for the sleeve and side seam instead of the 3/8" one that was included in the pattern.  I don't think that was necessary and may go back and take the sleeves and side into the proper 3/8" seam.  To avoid bulk from the pockets I used navy lining fabric from Joann's.

The pattern pieces are nicely drafted and feature notches for quick frustration free sewing.  The sleeve is asymmetrical and has front, center, and back notches to easily set them in.  The instructions have you set them in flat.  The pocket placement was marked with notches on the bodice and skirt.  The neckband is only stretched around the neck and the bodice is marked where you are supposed to stretch.

I decided to attach my elbow patches with a blanket stitch instead of a straight stitch and then cutting them down to size.  I thought that the sweatshirt fleece would fray and look awful if it was attached and then trimmed.

The only part that I don't like is how you hem the sweater before finishing the front with the neckband.  I am not a fan of seams going right up the the hem.  I'll probably do something a bit different there next time.


 I really like the pattern and highly recommend it.  I will sew it again and am going to start looking for more fabrics to use.

I think the pattern is beginner friendly but the elbow patches and gathering options may raise it up to advanced beginner or intermediate sewer level.




Comments

  1. This navy french terry from Cali Fabrics is One of my absolute favorites. Its thick (but not too thick) and fabulously stretchy. I have some stashed away waiting for the perfect project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pair of GreenStyle Brassies cut out with some. I just have to find the time to finish sewing them. It's definitely a winter favorite here.

      Delete

Post a Comment