By Hand London Alix

This is my first By Hand London sew.  I bought Alix when it was released and have had this pattern cut out for longer than I would like to admit.  It was supposed to be a fall staple last year.  Well, I 'm thrilled I finally sewed it up, because I love it.
The pattern is US size 2-16 and the finished measurements are nice and roomy for an easy fit.  I was worried about the loose waist measurements, but I really love how the inset waistband and belt work together for a snug waist.  Having pleats instead of gathers is a big plus for my body shape.

Pattern Style Features
V-Neck Yoke
Inset Waistband ( two layers for enclosed seams)
Tie Back Belt
Pleated Skirt
Pleated Back Bodice
Pleated Bust Pieces (or gathered if doing V1 & V2)
Pleated Raglan Sleeves
Elastic Gathered Sleeve Casing
Three lengths, shirt, tunic or maxi dress



PDF Pattern Features
Trim Pages
No Layers
Copy Shop Format
Separate PDF for instructions
Separate PDF for V1, which is the Maxi length dress
5/8" seam allowance
Clear Illustrations and Explanations of every step
Nice finishing technique suggestions (i.e. understitching the yoke)
Finished and Body Measurement Chart

I have added the Size Chart here, because I couldn't find it on their website anywhere.  They really should add it to the listing.


I had the pattern traced and cut out last summer and I even interfaced my yoke and inset waistband pieces, so I was able to sew this up in a couple hours.  I used a lightweight fabric I bought from the remnant section of a local fabric store Fabrictopia.  I'm sure it is a polyester and pretty sure it is a crepe.  I bought it because it had nice drape and it's colors fit really well
in my color season.  A lesson learned the hard way from many sews I won't wear.

The only change I made to the pattern was to use the burrito method to attach the skirt to the two layers of the inset waistband.  I'm not a fan of trying to catch the second layer as you topstitch over the first one for the waistband.  This works because the side seams are still open.
Inset Waistband attached using the Burrito Method.

Right Side of Bodice

Wrong Side of Bodice.  You can see the enclosed seams.

I'm only 5'2", so if you want the sleeves to go all the way to your wrist I would check the length and probably suggest adding length for most people.

Here are a few more pictures and the line drawings for the other versions.

Happy Sewing!





Comments