Puperita Grunge Set


Puperita is one of my favorite children's pattern designers.  I was happy to test her new Grunge set (pattern was provided to me for free in exchange for the test).  The shorts are a harem style and the shirt is a very simple to sew V-neck raglan sleeve T-shirt.
Since I normally sew for my daughter or myself, I don't have nearly as many fun fabrics for my son.  So I pulled out all of my boyish options and we talked about what he might want.  He nixed the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dr. Who, Foxes, Marvel, and nearly everything else I offered and wanted something red and blue.   In the end I was sure it was just too boring and I remembered I had bought a bunch of iron-on transfers last year.  What little boy doesn't want to be a superhero?  Sometimes a simple iron-on transfer is all it takes to make an 8 year old happy.  He hasn't wanted to take off the shirt since I made it for him.

Pattern Features
  • Sizes Newborn to 10
  • Separate pants for babies in diapers size newborn to 4
  • Layers
  • Trim Pages
  • 3/8" Seam Allowance
  • Notches for matching the sleeves to the body
  • Raglan sleeve has a front and back (not symmetrical)
  • Pictures and clear instructions
  • Designed for Knit fabrics
My son has filled out a bit this year and it is nice to be able to sew him something comfy that isn't too long.  I cut a size 10 with size 8 length, for both the shirt and shorts.  Per Puperita's suggestion in the pattern I removed 5/8" from the front rise.  His hips measure 31.5", so he is just outside of the size 10 width, so I added a bit of width to the inseam for his legs.  The final shorts are cute and fun.


Like many 8 year old boys he pulls on his collar, so the V-neck is a really good fit for his age.  It isn't up on his neck constricting him.


He was really very sweet and took lots of pictures for me.  I really loved that he puffed up his chest to look like Superman, but it did result in quite a few super serious faces.
Happy Sewing!


Comments