Thread Theory Jedediah Pants as Shorts

I spent the last 8 days occasionally sewing my husband a pair of Jedediah Shorts.  All of his store bought pants are pretty loose through his legs and bum, so I have been telling him I would sew him a pair of pants that actually fit.  He was less than happy that I wanted to take a picture of his regular pants, but here is how his pants normally fit.


I bought several Thread Theory Patterns at the same time, but the Jedediah Pants are the first pattern of their's that I have sewn.  I picked them to start because they are described as a "Chino-style trousers updated with a slim, casual fit, back yoke and stylish slash front pockets"  and that sounded like the style I was looking for to fit my husband.  The pattern comes with sizes 30-40 and they caution you not to make the size you buy at the store, but pick your size by measurements (like most patterns).  My husband measured a bit above the 38, but I checked the ease and decided they would fit.  I made size 38 for him.  I'm very impressed with the quality of drafting and techniques.  They are lighter on the instructions than other PDF patterns, but there is a sew-along here that will get even the most basic sewer through the pattern.

The PDF pattern is delivered as a zip file with individual files for instructions, print at home pattern pieces, large format pattern pieces, and A0 paper pattern pieces.  The print at home version is 35 pages.  The pattern pages require trimming to assemble and all sizes are nested together.  The PDF does not feature layers, but tracing the size you need isn't difficult since each size has it's own line pattern.  All pieces include a 5/8" seam allowance.  Pieces are notched for easy assembly and grainlines are properly marked on all pieces.  There are pocket placement markings and a top-stitching guide to help your handmade pants turn out nicely.




The techniques utilized for sewing these shorts are top notch.  You are instructed to finish the pockets with a french seam, flat felled seams are used on the yoke and outseam, and the inseam and waistband are finished with custom made bias tape.  The pockets and waistband feature a lapped seam for the corners, so you get a clean corner.  All of the instructions include simple technique illustrations and descriptions of each sewing step.  I admit I was stretching my brain to assemble the pants just from the instructions, but I was really proud of myself.  I don't know why I didn't search for the sew-along from the beginning, but I didn't use it until I was attaching the yoke (and could not figure out which side was up).  The sew-along reverses the order of sewing the outseam and inseam, while it's possible to sew the flat felled inseam after sewing the outseam, I recommend sticking with the pattern instructions and sewing the inseam first, since it's hard to do the second pass for the flat felled seam when the pant leg is assembled.  Otherwise, I was very happy with the sew-along, pattern and instructions.  I'm looking forwards to sewing more of their patterns.  I may have to do some selfish sewing and make myself a Camas blouse.  I accidentally cut off too much length (6") for my husband to want to wear them with the cuff, so I just have the simple 3/4" hem.  They are a bit long for his taste as drafted, but the pattern allows you to customize that to the wearer.  Next time I'll just cut them shorter from the beginning, not after having sewn the shorts.



I started these May 3 and just happened to pick Star Wars fabric for the pockets in time to have a May the Fourth project on the machine that involved Star Wars.  I used the remainder to make the continuous bias tape.



























Comments

  1. You did a beautiful job on your husband's shorts! They look like the fit it spot on. Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment