Spring Capsule Wardrobe Wardrobe in a Week Challenge

 

First group of fabrics that I was happy with
Becca, from Free Notion, has hosted Capsule Wardrobe group for the last year.  It started out with a summer capsule, but we have enjoyed the sewing community and resources of the group so much it keeps morphing as the next season approaches.  She is currently moving and didn't think she would be able to sew much, but she changed her mind and challenged us to create a spring capsule out of simple patterns that could be sewn in a week.
I've never completed a capsule, so I'm really hoping the deadline and simplifying of the patterns should help me actually sew enough pieces that I could say I have a capsule wardrobe.  I've read all of her posts about getting started, body type, color pallets, and fitting your extraordinary body, and more, so I felt like I was actually ready to really try.  I was lucky enough to have loads of fabrics that would work together.  I spent all day yesterday piling them up and considering if they would work together and if they were springy enough. 
Added coral and floral
My first selections would have been beautiful for a fall/winter capsule (I'm pretty sure most were purchased with that intent).  I pulled most of the browns and greens and replaced them with a couple corals and florals that I bought for last summer.  Then I was reminded of the Lisel & Co. Gallery Tunic I was working on in Teal and was sure I could fit my three gorgeous teal fabrics into my spring capsule.  I eventually decided they will fit with the colors, but not with the requirements of the easy sews, so while I can't use them now they will be sewn soon.
Remembered how much I loved my teals and tried to fit them into the Spring Capsule
 
GreenStyle Creations One Button Cardigan
The fabrics kept changing as I thought about what patterns I would sew and whether or not everything would be wearable together.  I was really saved when I remembered my beautiful GreenStyle Creations One Button Cardigan.  It means I have one less garment to sew and one more piece that actually matches with my color pallet. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At the end of the night I decided to make two Raglan tops (GreenStyle or Jalie), one woven tank (Tortola), skinny pants (Jocole), jeggings (Patterns for Pirates SOS), a pencil skirt (Love Notions Sybil), a cream sweater (Mouse House Creations Julia Cardigan), and a kimono (Patterns for Pirates).  The patterns my change after muslining, but I'm off to print and tape/glue the few I haven't printed yet. Then to remember to cut everything at once and sew in ways that I don't have to change the thread repeatedly.  Wish me luck!
Soon to be jersey Coral Diamond fabric with Brown sleeves Raglan
Destined to be a denim blue jersey with floral sleeves Raglan
 

I think I'm going to switch out the brown denim for a navy stretch sateen, but otherwise, these are my final fabric choices.  Left to right cream sweatshirt knit, blue sweater, coral diamond jersey, denim blue jersey, gray diamond lawn, denim blue jegging, thicker gray knit I think it is ponte de roma, and brown textured stretch denim.
 
Trial combinations
More combinations
 
 
 
 

Comments