Garden to Patio Transformation

I hope it will all be level from the row of stones to the front fence.
It's been a long time since I've been able to start a new garden project, but today we did.  We love to entertain and since our house is small we try hard to have our yard be a fun and welcoming extension of the house.  Over the years our vegetable garden has moved from exclusively being on the East side of the Casita, to other parts of the yard.  Since that side of the Casita is a bit shady for vegetables we decided to transform it into another patio.  It will be a large area with a few plants on the sides, so that it isn't just a big rectangle, and it will connect to the lower corner grill patio with a wide path.


The extra wood will all be gone.
Doing this requires adding living privacy screens on the fence line that is close to the neighbor's house.  Ryan has already set them on all of the other parts of the yard.  We debated where they should start and decided they will be outside of the raised patio about 6" from the fence line.  Then Ryan wants to use metal as the retaining wall for the East side.  The rest will be leveled stone that matches what I used for the lower patio 4 years ago.

Since we knew we were going to change this area it's pretty ugly right now.  I was able to take some before pictures this morning.

I decided to water before trying to dig.


Poor tomatoes and cedar planks have seen better days.





After going to Lowe's for a new shovel and gloves, I dug the beginning of the retaining wall trench.  It's really nice to be able to dig in the yard again. I'm really pleased with the progress I accomplished today.


It's hard to see here but the trench is about 5" wide and 8" deep.








Susan was less than thrilled to be stuck outside while I dug the 40' trench.  She started playing in the water and got my phone wet.  It is currently sitting in a bag of rice, because the screen was not really responding.  I'm sure it will be fine since it wasn't actually dead.

Comments