Wardrobe by Me Norma Jean Kimono


I'm very happy with my latest Wardrobe by Me sew.  Last year I nearly bought the Norma Jean Kimono (affiliate) when it was released, but I had so many unsewn patterns I skipped it until I had a plan.  When I tested the Summer Breeze Tunic (full blog post) I asked if she had a pattern that could be used for a light summer cover up with the Summer Breeze.  Christina was kind enough to send over the Norma Jean Kimono pattern for me to pair with my Summer Breeze.

The pattern is a wonderful swimsuit coverup, robe, or even a fun sweater.  It features kimono style sleeves, a belt, edgeband, pockets, a hanging loop, and a back casing to keep the belt in place.



The PDF Pattern features layers and no trim pages.  There are only 20 pages to assemble.  The cutting chart for the belt and edge band are on the pattern piece for the front. I cut a 6 blended out to a 10 to accommodate my hips.  The actual pattern pieces have pretty straight side seams, so it was easy to blend sizes.  I cut the front, back, sleeves, edge band, belt and the back casing, but skipped the pockets.  Here is the size chart for the pattern.  It offers size 0-16 US or 30-46.  As usual for Wardrobe by Me, all of the pattern pieces matched up nicely and it was a nice pattern to sew.  The pieces have 3/8" seam allowances included.  It fit as expected from the size chart.


I struggled to find any fabric that would be both neutral enough to wear repeatedly and match my new sleeveless top.  In the end I decided to try this very twisted sweater knit I bought when Hancock Fabrics was going out of business.  How a woven knit could be so twisted off the grain is beyond me.  It really wouldn't have been much of a problem, except it is also stripes.  This is not a beginner friendly knit.  If I ever have another fabric like this I won't buy it or sew with it.

When cutting my pieces I tried to keep the stripes straight and untwist the knit as much as possible.  I always cut anything striped by placing the piece hem on a stripe.  Then it is easy to cut the next piece and the other side matches and your side seams look nice and tidy.  When sewing the side seams I just make sure they stay matched as I serge the seam.



Back casing for the belt.  Such a nice finish.
Changes I made.  I left off the pockets, shortened the length of the hem and the sleeves, and finished the sleeves with bands.  While this doesn't look much like the pattern pictures, I didn't re-draw any pieces.  I only changed lengths.


  • I knew I didn't want it to be much longer than my high hip, so the first step was to hold the pattern up on my shoulder and find where my high hip was.  Then I added a couple inches since it is supposed to be belted and that will make it fit shorter and I would need to hem it.

  • Originally, I had hoped to skip the sleeves, but after trying on the bodice I decided I wanted something a bit longer than just a very short kimono shoulder.  Plus the lower part of the armscye was pretty low.  So I cut out two sleeves and attached them.  I did not like full length striped long sleeves on my arms at all.  So I chopped them off near my elbow and was much happier.  I like sleeves that end near my waistline.
  • I cut 3" bands and attached them to finish each sleeve.

I like it both tied in the front and tied behind me so that it hangs open.



Despite the fabric being pretty awful to sew, I think the final sweater is pretty comfortable and fun.  I will definitely wear it year round here in Texas.

Here are a few more pictures that show how it works with the summer breeze top.  I wanted the short hem, so that the fun hi-low hem and ruffle wouldn't be hidden.





Comments